The Cosplay Sessions: Nao's Walkthrough (DRAMAtical Murder - Koujaku)

By 0:41 , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

It's been a while since the last session, right? But I hope the wait was worth it for any of you who visit this corner. I know it was for me, because Koujaku was one of the characters I enjoyed the most during the game. 

So having this intriguing yet endearing freelance hairdresser sitting on the chair for The Cosplay Sessions, is something I was looking forward to. 

There is just so much going on with his looks, he easily represents a challenge for whoever decides to incarnate him. From the beginner who's venturing themselves in cosplay for the first time, to that one cosplayer who has even mastered the art of crafting armors out of thin air, and even those who skip the sewing process and just focus on their make up after buying the garments: Koujaku is an art to master

So for this session, I have the pleasure to share with you Nao's experience. Her point of view as Koujaku.







Taking you all back to the Main Route, the first time you (Aoba) met Koujaku, didn't he have a mysterious aura that automatically made you curious about him? From afar Koujaku's aura and the beauty of his attire could even result intimidating -the sword helps a little-; and Nao causes that very same effect at first sight. To me it was like a flashback of that first encounter in the game. 


Enough of my talk. Let me guide you during the Walkthrough of this special Route!


B: How did you first learn about Cosplay?
N: I think it was when I just started to properly get into anime and searched for pictures of it on google and saw people dressed as the characters and thought "that looks fun...I want to do that" so of course, I did it.

B: Do you remember your experience with your first Cosplay?
N: I do! My first cosplay was Izaya from DRRR! It was terrible. The wig I got for it was cheap and felt really weird, the jacket was great but I didn't know about binding back then and I wasn't very good with makeup so looking back on it now, it's just nice to see that I've made a lot of progress instead of feeling embarrassed.

Nao's Izaya now improved and upgraded. 
The memories related to first character cosplayed, whether good or bad, are always unique and stick with you forever I'd dare to say.


B: What do you like the most about Cosplay?
N: The costumes. Most people say meeting new people but honestly, I'm terrible at meeting new people. I just love looking at all the different costumes you can get with beautiful designs and wow. I love it. 


A character like Koujaku fits perfectly Nao's perspective on Cosplay. Loaded with beautiful details, his attire invites you to admire it and even tempts you to wear it. Perfect for a cosplayer who likes to indulge in the luxury provided by so many japanese characters.

B: When you decide on a character you want to cosplay, what's the very first step to start making the costume a reality?
N: I usually buy the wig first just to make sure I can do a makeup/wig test and see if I suit the character or not. If I don't then I either use the wig for something else or give it to a friend. If I do I'll then buy contacts (if needed) then the costume.

B: How did you learn about DRAMAtical Murder?
N: I was looking through wigs on eBay and saw an Aoba one and a Koujaku one when I was looking for Tokiya wigs and really wanted them just because they were so pretty and I love blue but then I decided to google DMMD and see what it was. I then got the game and started playing it and now I really like it!

Wigs are the foundation to every cosplay for Nao, to the point wigs alone guided her to DMMd. Here she shares a shot with her two favorites: Koujaku as worn by Nao herself, and a lovely Aoba. 

Since wigs are so important in the cosplay world thanks to the infinity of characters and their crazy hairstyles and colors, if you can't decide what character to cosplay... an option is trying the wigs you have available! compare their shape to that of other characters you're interested in. It will be easier for you to decide

B: Was Koujaku your first cosplay option? Why? 
N: Yep! I love his character and his clothes and just everything about him.

B: Have you cosplayed other characters before? What does it take for you to decide what characters you want to cosplay? 
N: Not from DMMD. I have costested Noiz and will cosplay him one day but for now it's just Koujaku.

B: What habits and qualities do you share with Koujaku?
N: First thing I thought of is that I used to be a hairdresser like Koujaku. I guess in a way I am quite secretive as he was in the beginning when he wouldn't tell Aoba anything. Although as soon as I'm in the cosplay I just feel like Koujaku and it's great.

Koujaku's overflowing charisma and his enigmatic side are both easy for Nao to strike in each pose. I personally think this Koujaku looks at ease and peaceful from being close to someone dear. It just happens naturally!


B: Is there anything you do to enter character when you're going to wear the cosplay?
N: I don't think there is. I feel like I already have a similar personality to Koujaku sometimes so it's not too hard for me to get in character.


B: How do you feel about the reactions from people to your cosplay, be it in cons or online?
N: I've only ever got positive comments and it really makes my day when people say they love my Koujaku cosplay.


B: Which has been the weirdest experience you can remember related to this cosplay?
N: I've only worn it out once so far and haven't really had any weird experiences.


B: Once you decided 'Koujaku is the one I want to cosplay', what were your first thoughts about achieving the make up look that would bring you closer to him?
N: I just looked at lots of different pictures of him. I re-played the game and took screenshots of his face and practiced different makeup styles until I found the one I like most. I do still change it slightly everytime I do it but it's all very similar. I knew I needed to make my face look manlier at first. I needed to try and achieve the same eye shape and I wanted the eyebrows to be perfect (I'm a sucker for eyebrows).


B: What features of this character did you pay attention to the most to recreate them on your on face?
N: The eyebrows. Definitely. They never seem to look the same each time I do them but they're so fun to do nonetheless.

Eyebrows are the key to recreate animated characters in real life for most cases. Nao pays special attention to this detail. Koujaku's face might be covered most of the time, but that one visible brow does make the difference when he's showing emotions.  


B: How long does it take you to achieve the look?
N: Probably about 40 minutes? 



Nao's Product Choice

Koujaku's sharp features as a man, mixed with enigmatic details such as his eyes are an entertaining combination when it comes to adapting his style to your own face. 

Here is Nao's particular choice of make up products. Perhaps you can find something useful for yourself!



1. Rimmel London Match Perfection foundation (in Light Porcelain)
2. 88 Matte Eyeshadow Palette (Red)
3. Collection 2000 black liquid liner
4. 88 Neutral Eyeshadow Palette (Contouring purposes)
5. Supercat pen liner (to draw eyebrows)


Fine, we've got the list of "ingredients". But what to do with them??? 

Witnessing the transformation not only will prove Nao's skills and dedication while she goes from her own identity to Aoba's childhood friend in the flesh; it can also serve as reference for any character that shares similar features with Koujaku, or Koujaku himself if you wish to cosplay him!

Some important details to pay attention to if you want to make the most out of Nao's suggested routine, are those features you could have in common with her. 

A clue: eye shape. Do you have a similar eye shape? Then her magic should work wonderfully on you as well. 

If that isn't the case, no worries. The fun in cosplay is to adapt the characters to yourself. Not the other way around! So let's take a look at Nao's routine, from the styling of the actual wig, to make up. Anything that catches your attention, can be adapted to your own features. Dare to experiment!


Nao: Before



Nao: After


Strong points in Nao's version

I would definitely say Nao's natural features bring out Koujaku's elegance over any other thing that could characterize him. But she makes sure to sharpen some features to make a more masculine statement. These are the points I consider important:

Lower lash line lining: sometimes we make such a huge effort on lining the upper lashline to reshape our eyes closer to the character's, that we end up neglecting the lower lash line! OR the complete opposite, paying so much attention to the lower lash line that it ends up overdone. 


Nao finds a great balance with her lining, that complements the upper lining and completely reshapes her eyes. 

That is, as she perfectly points, lining the outer corner with the desired shape and only reaching the middle. The very inner corner is next, enlongated with a tiny triangle shape. But these two extremes aren't meant to meet! That would look unnecessarily harsh.



Lip concealing and lining: while concealing the lips for male characters is always a good trick to tone down those lips that are naturally quite pigmented and achieve a more animated look, sometimes it can result in completely washed out lips. While animated characters usually don't have defined lips, it's important to remember you want to bring the animated character to a human version. So a bit of human-animation balance can do wonders


One option to avoid this ghost face effect product of washed out lips, is a subtle lining at the outer corners of your lips. It will extend the opening of your mouth and keep some attention to that area. It also adds some extra expression! Do it subtly just the way Nao does (don't go Joker on yourself). Like that, she managed to highlight Koujaku's playful smile.


B: If you were a character of the game, how would your route be?
N: Hmm I think I'd imagine myself being one of those really mean characters that acts like they don't care when they really do. It'd start off being a cold, distant character but once they get to know someone they get kinder and more caring and very protective (just because that's quite like how I am anyway).


Nao insight
So what if Nao truly had a Route in the game? This is how it would be:

Bad End: 
I can imagine it being something really horrible like instead of the character getting better and more caring, they get worse and end up killing the one they love but then regretting it and maybe even killing themselves.

Good End: 
The character ends up having very strong feelings for the one they love and protects them from everything, it'd just be something simple. 

Ideal Allmate: 
I'd love a little fox as an allmate unless you mean actual allmates in the game then probably Beni.


Nao as an Allmate: 
I honestly don't know although I imagine I'd be quite like Ren.


Good End theme: 
Something like this since yeah, it'd be happy but still emotional.


Bad End theme: 





Cosplay Anatomy


Favorite part of the costume: definitely the Kimono. I just love it.

Piece you would wear in everyday fashion: Honestly?  I'd wear most of it.

Piece you would NEVER wear out of cosplay: the glove type things, they just get in the way half the time.


With this our second session for this DMMd edition reaches its end! 
I hope you enjoyed Nao's Koujaku. I know I did. Nao truly brings out intensely that mysterious side of Koujaku, the beauty that characterizes him and surrounds his entire Route.

Please stay tuned for the following sessions and just more articles here on BTB.

Reach Nao


Previous Sessions
Toastie (As Rhyme!Ren)


Animated Pixels:
stripmarge

BlueTrashBin's:
Tumblr
Instagram

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Koujakuuuuu. I'm a sucker for him and i think Nao (i feel weird writing this regarding someone else lol) did an amazing job bringing him to life. Altho, i have to say she sorta had it easier than most people because of her naturally elongated and sharp looking face. She just had to sharpen her face more, but it was an amazing job! I think he is a wonderful character, in the game, his personality and i love his fashion (except the shoes). I think she did all she needed to do, and to me she looks like a natural koujaku, she looks very laid back and into character. I also loved the questions about her own route. Wonderful questions. !! Keep it up!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Also... The allmate fox thingie
    XD cute.

    ResponderEliminar