DRAMAtical Murder: first impressions of my first Visual Novel

By 1:15 , , , , , , , ,

***
Assuming (and hoping) that we're all adults here in this post, there's no need to throw a side-eye or a gasp if the topic happens to be a quite explicit BL Visual Novel. And because that particular aspect of the game has already been discussed, seen, laughed, played and enjoyed enough; I consider it also goes without saying that it is far from being the principal or only appeal of the game I'm about to review. So to anyone who's uncomfortable with the idea of a heavily sex loaded game, uhhh... you won't find d*cks here (pixeled or not), and if it disturbs you anyway, there's other plenty of topics around the blog that can be enjoyed.
***

To those who don't mind at all, sorry n_n I thought it was part of the protocol to warn about it in such an open place as a blog. 


With that being said! 




Since I'm about to write a series of articles related to this game, I truly wanted to review the actual game briefly. Or more than a review, I wanted to share my experience as a player/reader of this interesting Visual Novel brought to the world by Nitro+CHiRAL

It's going to be extremely basic! I truly would hate to spoil the fun for anyone in the future. To those who have already played, then you'll know what I'm talking about and I hope you enjoy just another simple experience of another player.

These will be my first impressions of everything as I played for the first time. A few months might have passed since then, but memories are still fresh from how stimulating it was. Let's do it!


WHAT IS THIS YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT?


DRAMAtical Murder is under a really stimulating category in the vast world of games: Visual Novels.

A good example, and the way I found out Visual Novels were a thing: OHSHC's 4th Episode, in which Renge-chan is obsessed with a character from a Date-Simulation game. Romance, action, drama, horror. You name it, there will be a Visual Novel for it.

More than actually being a game, Visual Novels are interactive books. As you play/read and go further into the story from the perspective of the main character, determined situations will offer you a number of choices and reactions to them. Depending on your pick, you'll move forward through different paths (Routes) and experiences with the available characters for you to interact with. 


GAME OVER = BAD END

A wrong mix of picked options will walk you through the Bad Route, with its respective unfortunate Bad End. Depending on the game itself and its story, a Bad End can go from not getting your love interest's heart (Otome Games) to... world destruction? Possibilities are endless, and none of them in your favor.

StarrySky happens to be a Date-Simulation game just like the one Renge-chan adored. Because the genre is Romance, Bad Ends equal rejecting or... getting rejected. The Spring version of this game is my only background on the VN field. The plot is as shallow as it can get, but the Zodiac concept is entertaining. 

In this case. Well... DRAMATICAL Murder (???). Make your conclusions on how Bad those ends can be. 


YOU WIN = GOOD END 

The bright side! A determined mix of choices will guide you through the Good Route. Victory on different fields awaits the character you incarnate. Once again, this will depend on the Universe presented by the game. And since this particular Visual Novel is under the BL category... you can guess one of the awaited victories-coughcough-

Is this an awkward coincidence or all VN protagonists wear mullets? Anyway, here's an example of a Good End from my only experience before DMMd. It was honestly a cute game, but... those dialogues. The constant facepalming left my face dented with a hand shape.



I'm sorry, but how can one possibly pay attention to a book with no pictures in it? 

No worries, my dear Alice. In Visual Novels you're rewarded with CGs (Computer Graphics). Good Routes and Bad Routes will provide you with illustrations to the most important scenes of the game, which you can collect as you play and admire them as many times as you wish on the Main Menu. Honyarara's gorgeous art is, I can easily declare, the main reason why everyone fell for this game so badly.

Don't have to think twice to pick this as my favorite CG. Even in a simple situation and quite humble surroundings, all the elements are combined so wonderfully the result is as pleasing as it would in more extravagant illustrations. Plus this scene is among my favorites. Who hasn't done this? Music plays an important role in this game. I really liked that.



ACCIDENTALLY IN LOVE

As most of my recent obsessions, I discovered DMMd after my Tumblr dashboard insisted that I had to see some blue haired guy having... quite a lot of fun. Each time with a different guy. 

Well fine, Tumblr. Thank you -scrolls down with warm ears-

But Tumblr insisted. Eventually I'd see the same character in different settings (now with clothes on, thanks a lot). The color palette for this character was truly appealing for me. So, convinced enough, a short trip through the DRAMAtical Murder tag told me what this was about.

After some eye candy in the form of nice color combinations, intriguing facial expressions, and a title that contrasted with the everything beautiful, I found myself wanting to play.



PLOT? WHAT PLOT?

With people divided between "Everything leads to doing the do" and "OFC there is a plot!!" I was over-alert (that's not a word, is it?) during the whole General Route, the one that actually presents you the plot, the different characters, and the different situations that might take you through this Route or the other.

And well, not only there IS a plot, but a different branch of it for each main character. Things get deeper and while one Route might answer some questions it can also generate others, which at the same time can be answered in the next Route you play... and generate more questions

It's fun!

But the General Route is the introduction to this Universe. It helps you determinate your preferences and get closer to the Game's Perspective, so that you feel you're actually the protagonist instead of it being under your command like two separate entities. 


Midorijima, one of the Japanese Islands, has a parenthesis within created by Toue Company: a corporation so powerful that it managed to expand their ideas of what a perfect world should be like until occupying a good extension of the island with the bubble facility "Platinum Jail". Technology, perpetual night life, luxuries of all kind... those are the promises from Toue Company to the minority who can afford it and live under the facility's rules. Outside the bubble? Well, the Former Resident's District doesn't have the same luck, exposed to the misfortunes of a typical underdeveloped society.


It never grows old, evil guy with power, deceiving and controlling the innocent citizens with a Man of Good Will facade, with the sole purpose of becoming the King Under the Mountain (..wait that's another story). But that's not bad. It never grows old for a reason! And how we love to see the bad guy's butt being kicked. Except here there's the possibility of the opposite. It depends on your decisions.

And of cooourse our Hero would live right outside that extravagant bubble! Happy with a simple life, Aoba Seragaki works at a junk shop. But his questionable past and his outstanding ability to get in trouble thanks to a mysterious power he possesses, will drag him to the eye of the storm along with those who are close to him.

If you think I won't smooch the screen....

We'll see life through Aoba's eyes, given that 99% of the game is from his perspective. This character breaks the mold in many aspects. Perhaps there have been others with the same characteristics, but to me this character was everything in one package. His way to perceive life and his thoughts on every situation he got involved in hardly made me question anything, as I felt a lot related to them. 

I'm sure there's a bit of Aoba in all of us, right? And that makes the experience better.

The most clicheic concepts mix with innovating and unexpected elements. Whether you play by instinct, or you follow a playthrough, you're guaranteed to experience surprise, excitement, fear, concern, sadness, rage and happiness. Expect getting involved to a point in which whatever the protagonist feels, you feel it too. 


CHOOSE ONE: THE ROUTES

This is how my run out of Granny's house to escape from the cops went...


I made all my choices by heart the first time. The innocent, good-willed "I'll choose the option that's closest to my actual opinion" eventually lead me to...

Noiz's Route: Since I was coming from the long General Route, when I started this particular path everything began to get so fast!!! Game! Stahp! Calm down... slow dooown!

By the time the Route had finished (the game successfully trolling me and forcing me to find a guide that convinced me it wasn't damaged) I felt so betrayed. Was that all?! But... if anything, I'm only more confused! 

You see, I was thinking each single Route would have its individual resolution to EVERY branch of mysteries involved, adapted to each Route Master (I just made up that term, don't even listen to me). So basically, I had spent the whole Route in unnecessary alert mode, searching for clues against the clock and deducing things that weren't even there

"Ohh so that totally has to do with this and that. Hmmm... yeah yeah. It's only logical. This game is so predictive, I'm too smart for this tsk..."

I can be forgiven because this was my first experience in Visual Novels (after the sorta disappointing SK), right? 

However, many moments in this Route did make me stop clicking frantically and read slower. The levels of interaction are not shallow at all. You get to know a very interesting character who promises a lot of surprises (no, not the ones related with teeth). Most of what Noiz revealed of himself I did not see it coming at all, and that made me look forward to the development of the other Routes.

Clear's Route: The intrigue of what could be behind the Gas Mask, took me here. Also this feeling of wanting to get that done quickly, since the General Route gave me such a bad impression of this individual. He just... whines too much! 

So this time it was just me viciously clicking my way through the Route, feeling more like I was babysitting this stranger with questionable intentions (Apron incident made it more suspicious!) So clicking with Aoba (punny) was easier here than during any other Route: our reactions were in complete synchrony. But hey, that isn't entirely negative. It only made the game more realistic, because the characters' depth give place to evolutions of feelings as you go deeper in the story. 

All in all, this Route is a nice break from the others. Comedy unfolds its wings, and between the exasperation you're also laughing at every occurrence. It even makes you forget the mystery behind the Gas Mask, because you're that absorbed by the light mood (and making sure Clear doesn't get you both murdered). 

So when things start getting serious (emotionally and plot wise), you don't see it coming from a character with that personality. Curiosity returns, and gives place to surprise and... feels =_= 

But notice how I make NO mention of the Bad End here? That's because I have never played it! I spoiled myself by accident and seeing things were going to get that bad... just nope nope, must use guide. The impressive development of this Route makes you become attached to Clear, and is the key to cause ONE HELL OF AN IMPACT in his Bad End. I'm not that brave.

In my opinion, Clear is (ironically) the most human Route.

Koujaku's Route: You can play the Routes in whichever order you wish. However, I'll say up to this point I was truly liking the ups and downs in the mood for each Route in the order I played. The Good Ends being my aim now, helped me decide to only use playthroughs and go for Bad Ends for when I felt brave. This way I could focus muuuuch more on the character's personality since the fear of failing wasn't present. That sort of security comforted me enough to relax lol

Koujaku? He's a wonderful character. Why? Because, to me, he simply gathers the best of the best from many classic anime heroes. He's a fun guy, the good friend. No. The Best Friend. His courage and easy going nature make you feel at ease as you play. Besides the crazy amount of beautiful designs involved in his story. You don't get to play the entire life story that links you to Koujaku in the past, but interaction with him is so smooth and intimate, he does make you feel you've known him from long long ago.

During this particular Route I started feeling it was such a bummer this wasn't a RPG. Simply because Koujaku is the type of character you would like to team up with in that sort of game. Battles, Quests... imagine those situations with Koujaku next to you. I'd so play a game like that. 

And because he gained my trust as a character, I decided to gather some guts and play the Bad Route.

It's the type of story that can make you smile in sadness. But a smile is a smile. 

Mink's Route: Uhh I probably made the mistake to play this Route on a stepped-out-of-bed-with-left-foot-day, but I played it until the end. This is a character that makes no single effort in trying to be liked, much less loved or trusted. The development of his Route is a rollercoaster of feelings, mostly crowned by frustration.

But so many are the lessons and messages left behind, between quotes, (once again) color combinations, locations, actions and simply the evolution not only of the Route Master but also the Game's Perspective (Aoba), that it's difficult to pretend you didn't get personal with the story.

Mink's design is my top favorite next to Aoba. Besides, to me, both resolutions (GE and BE) were quite satisfying, and had me sighing in relief that somehow that intense episode was over and I only hoped for the best for both characters. There's always a chance to change and be better. That's what I believe.



SPOILER ALERT FROM HERE











Ren's Route: Because the Routes all have the same structure/course, Ren's Route was a whole new experience. Almost like a new game. However, it wasn't a Route I could enjoy entirely. It wasn't bad at all! I'm addicted to Multiple Personalities. I was REALLY surprised by the turn of events. And hell I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have liked the personalities I've created during my existence to become tangible.

But puppy Ren being upset and sick... it distracted me so much from everything that was happening around. I was taking that dog VERY seriously, ok? And then because I was so ridiculously attached to him, it felt odd to interact with him in his Rhyme version. It was so nostalgic... all I could think of was his tiny paws, pink cushions and silly tongue out. 

Sorry... that's like the worst review ever for this Route. But things would be so much easier if that Dog of Doom wasn't THIS cute!

I could stare at it forever... Ren's my phone wallpaper. Telegram background. Whatsapp background... BRAIN background! I could cover my entire room walls with this image.


And that was DMMd for me. Tried to be brief in order to not spoil/bore. And there it is. 

It's been nice so far. Learning about the infinite different experiences of other players. New cosplayers. And well, new characters to obssess about. In general, not only a new source of entertainment... but inspiration. So the game continues even after you've played all the existent Routes.

Quite good timing to post this! It's my little way to celebrate three things concerning DMMd:

-Aoba's (and company) birthday
-DMMd's anime release this summer
-A small surprise I have for anyone who happens to like DMMd, cosplay and reads this blog.

Thank you for your visit!!!

Ah also, shameless self-promotion time: I've started a new Instagram account dedicated to the blog and all that revolves around it! I'd be grateful if you could follow: @bluetrashbin


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. dun dun dun dun... dun dun dun dun~ *humming old resident's bg music*

    Ahh~ DMMd, the world of crazy and nice at the same time. I have nothing to say that you haven't heard me say before about the game, lol. We've talked about it so much. But, i'm glad I did get to play it in the end upon your request, it truly was a crazily entertaining game, and also mind fucking. ughhhh.. dhdkhfksdhf

    MASTAAAAAH!!!
    WOOF WOOF!

    I'm done, lol.

    Awesome review, as all your reviews. It was your perspective and it is always lovely to hear other peoples experiences regarding something you also have experienced.

    keep it up!!

    ResponderEliminar