The Heichou Sessions: Mekada Heichou

By 23:00 , , , , , , , , , , ,

The Heichou Sessions has been bouncing around the world hunting for Levi cosplayers willing to share their secrets, tips and experiences. Becoming Levi happens differently for everybody. Same character? Yes, but never the same experience.

Of course there are things to have in common, but what was really appealing for me was the distinctions and how everyone's individuality resulted in so many versions of the same Levi.

I just can't get enough, writing about this is dangerously turning a habit. I continue to learn more things and meet more interesting people.

Today's Heichou comes from a land far faaaar away from my own. We managed to find a happy middle to communicate thru english, since we sort of handle it even though it isn't our mother tongue. 

But still, we made the connection, and this cosplayer received my proposal so well that I found myself looking forward to her answers and secrets.

And be prepared, because Mekada from Ukraine didn't hesitate at all to share the best she has as a cosplayer, more specifically a Levi cosplayer.


Just like most of the cosplayers I've reached for this purpose, I spotted her on Tumblr. What brought me to contact her was the expression she uses to transmit the character. It's almost bewitching, I must say. 

Everyone being so different, we've found youthful looking Heichous, real life version, animated looking versions, elegant versions, fierce ones. Just SO many Levis for you to look up to! Mekada's Levi though, simply seems out from a... CLAMP manga, I'd say. And this I claim it in the good sense of the word.

After joining her local Anime Community it didn't take long for her to learn more about cosplay. She says the experience was fun and it felt very home-like! A good start for any rookie cosplayer to feel encouraged to try more. So she didn't leave it at L (Death Note), and continued her path.

I like a lot the development of her story as a cosplayer. It reflects the extremely nice aspect of the hobby in its pure state: you make new friends, you learn new things, you're eager to do things yourself. There's so much that can be born from something like cosplay. She began making her own cosplays with her mom's help... but taking flight, Mekada was able to reach a level in which she could do it on her own.

But enough of my talk, she'll take the lead from now on and share more about her life as a Levi cosplayer.

B: How did your passion for cosplay begin?
M: I just saw it on the internet, then I thought "it looks nice and fun, I think I can do something like that too!" and then I made my first cosplay.

B: What do you like about cosplaying?
M: I like the process of choosing the character, creating a costume, waiting for festivals, meeting with friends and new friendships. It's like a little holiday, where I can be another person than irl and perform in public.

B: What are some of the obstacles you find when you're about to start a cosplay?
M: The biggest problem, I think, is too much inadequate criticism.
Cosplay is a hobby, but anyway almost everyone does it for the public.  No one wants to hear something bad about their work, it's normal, if the criticism is valid it's ok. But I've seen many cases where someone just wanted to insult a person, it's rly sad.
But I think if you want to cosplay nothing can stop you. But but it must be done beautifully and intelligently.

Mekada also did a 1994!Levi. The results are stunning. This is one of my favorite versions (and sue me if I'm wrong but she looks so much like Alice Nine's Tora in this pic)

B: How was the process of preparing for your Levi cosplay?
M: It was EXTREMELY FAST. I made it in a month. I sewed two costumes for this: for me and my partner, cuz I decided to cosplay Levi very suddenly xD

B: What do you like about Levi that made you decide you wanted to cosplay him?
M: It was sudden. One summer me and my friend decided to dress up as any anime characters, and we chose Levi and Hanji. I chose Levi cuz everyone likes him, and I thought "why not? everyone does it, I'll do it" and I saw that I look good in that suit. By then I didn't really understand the character.

Not everyone in the cosplay world decides on a character just because they deeply connect with it immediately. For some others the process is reversed! They choose the character based on its popularity, or maybe the cool costume on its own. But the magic of cosplay happens quickly in the process of creating it, or even the day you wear the costume for the first time: then you just end up uderstanding the character and end up entering in its mind. In my opinion that's just as exciting, sort of like studying a role for a play, and this was Mekada's case.

B: Have you cosplayed other characters before? What does it take for you to decide which characters you want to cosplay?
M: Yes, Levi is my 8th cosplay. I choose characters for their appearance, body shape, and of course I have to love them.

This was barely Mekada's second cosplay ever, and she was already able to enter character. This Grell's cheeky for sure.

B: How long does it take you for you to transform into Levi? 
M: About an hour. The longest time dressing is because of the belts. Make-up takes maybe 20 minutes.

B: What habits and qualities do you have in common with this character?
M: I'm neat and strict, and I'm used to restrain my emotions inside. 

B: What make up products do you use to create the Levi look?
M: I dunno what brands they are, that's not very important, because irl I almost don't wear make-up, and for cosplay I didn't want to buy something very expensive :) I can just show it:

Mekada's collection of basics is extremely accurate and a good reference if you're planning to start your own kit for this particular purpose: Matt brown shadows in different tones, powder, the ever useful black shadow and the basic brushes (powder, blending, lining...) will be your friends for Levi and many other characters you choose.

I use only natural pastel colors for the most natural look. I DON'T USE foundation and liquid eyeliner, because it gives a "mask-effect" and my skin is clean enough so I don' need it :) I don't like eyeliner for male characters (exept cute girly bishounens). I use the lightest tones of powder and concealer cuz my skin is very pale :( This is my usual look:

Yeah I know you're... shocked. In and out of character Mekada simply looks like out of a CLAMP manga. BUT the point here is: she wisely chooses products according to HER needs. Not all of us have clear skin I know, but if you do and consider foundation isn't necessary gooo ahead and skip it! If you do, just make the best out of it. What I'm trying to say, think of the products you don't really need. Sometimes we make the mistake of loading ourselves with so many products that promise a perfect look, when in reality not all of them are necessary. Think of your features' qualities!

B: Between those product, if you had to choose only three for a quick transformation at a convention for example, which would they be?
M: Brown and grey eyeshadows and light powder.

B: What features of this character did you pay attention to the most to recreate them on your on face?
M: First, and maybe the most importand: he is TOTALLY poker-faced. It doesn't mean means he's sullen and gloomy, especially not evil! Also he's not not pompous and arrogant. I think he is just strict and good captain, he knows what he can and must do. A very important thing for expressions: the eyebrows. They're NOT frowned or raised on nose bridge, it's just straight. So I draw them straight :D Second: eyes, of course. His eyes are calm and without emotions, and maybe a little bit tired. They shouldn't be very dark and contrasting.

B: What is necessary to make a good Levi facial expression? Show us your best Levi face:
M: Maybeeee you have to be restrained? xD I don't really know how to explain it...

With the previous analysis Mekada did on Levi's personality and facial features she just revealed her deep understanding of the character, which she continues to master each time she dresses up as him.

A Levi in all his elegance, but definitely intimidating without making a huge effort.

Ok you know what comes now and you know it's my favorite part... 

...Tutorial, of course! For the second time in the Sessions we have a dynamic tutorial, extremely detailed since Mekada wanted everyone to understand the routine she created for herself in order to transform into Levi. So pay attention to each step.

Also, remember! Do you have any facial feature that's similar to hers? Maybe your nose shape, or perhaps your eyelids? Any part of yourself that you can relate to hers is a clue on which part of the tutorial might be useful for you. So here's Mekada explaining her routine herself:

This is my morning look without make-up. You can see I almost have no own eyebrows, it's rly nice for cosplay xD

STEP 1
I use liquid and cream concealers to hide little skin imperfections.
I don't use foundation, it makes my face look like a mask.

DON'T CONCEAL YOUR LIPS FULLY! It makes them look bigger. Cover only your lip corners.

STEP 2
I cover all my face with powder. Use the big brush.

STEP 3
I contour my nose with light brown eyeshadows and a little brush.

STEP 4
Take the same brush and lightbrown eyeshadows to shade the eyelid and area closer to the inner end of the eyebrows.

STEP 5
Take a flat brush and dark brown eyeshadows and shade the crease of the eyelids for a deeper look.

STEP 6
Take the same brush and color to draw a "second crease" below the eyebrows.

STEP 7
Take the flat brush and dark grey eyeshadows to draw a line below lower lashline from the outer corner to the center.

STEP 8
Take a light brown and continue the line from inner corner to the center. Then blend this line.

STEP 9
Take a skew brush and contour lip corners with darkbrown/darkgrey eyeshadow. This is not a very important step and doesn't fit everyone.

STEP 10
Take the same brush and dark grey eyeshadow and draw eyebrows. I draw them a little lower than my own. It's a VERY IMPORTANT step, because the eyebrows show your emotions.

STEP 11
Take the flat brush and dark grey eyeshadow again and draw sideburns. Levi is cute, but he is a man anyway :)

STEP 12
Take the light brown eyeshadow and the big brush to contour your face. It must be very light! Or it can look like a beard xD

A final tip: I don't like to use black in male cosplay make-up, it makes make-up look dirty and too unnatural (except characters with specific make-up, of course). Hope this was helpful. 

If you did everything correctly... BE FAB!

Strong Points of Mekada's version:

Mekada's features are very sharp and refined, so that's what actually helps her achieve such an elegant Levi. She prefers the serene Levi and that's what she goes for in her routine. These are the most important points I saw in her version...

Colors: choosing various shades wisely will help you achieve the most believable look. Since Mekada's quite pale she plays with lighter shades of brown. Always choose at least three of these: from lighter to darker. If your skin isn't as light, the three shades will have to be darker too. Just get to know the colors that will go best with your skin tone and it will avoid unnatural results!

Lips: Good little tip! Mekada doesn't conceal her lips entirely but only creates a gradation from the edges and in. Your lips will look smaller but not completely hidden.

Eyebrows: Mekada's choice is based on her analysis of the character's face. She isn't so fond of frowning creases, but prefers clean straight brow that adds to that serene-distant expression Levi has. If you like that, go for it! The frowning is something we all naturally do, so if you want an angry Levi to go with this just... frown lol.


B: One of the main insecurities that stops many from doing a certain cosplay, is the lack of physical similarities between them and the character. What do you think of that? Could you share any words to these people?
M: I think it's a right thing: to think about your similarity with the character. If you're not sure of yourself, you can take a similar wig/your hair/draw it on photoshop. Put on make-up ant take some photos at your home to understand: can you make this cosplay or not? Are your looks like the character's or you think you look bad?

B: You wake up and find yourself literally in the SnK universe. Would you be in the Military? Which Division would you choose and why?
M: I don't think I would be in the Military Cx  but if I was a guy, I would've gone to the Scouting Legion, because they are the only people who can do something against titans.

B: Finally, some words for SnK fans and any person who's passionate about cosplay:
M: Hmmmm what can I say? Everyone, be kinder to each other!  Fandom and cosplay, common things, we are the same and equals. Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but respect the opinions of others. And for cosplayers, do what you want, but do this beautifully and accurately, it's not only a hobby, it's also a kind of art :)


Mekada seriously gave her best to share everything and express herself in the best way possible. The results were wonderful... first class talent imported from Ukraine to this blog, so I really am glad to have found her and that she let me approach for this Session.

Thank you so so much Mekada for sharing so much of your experience and tips!!!

As always I invite you to leave your thoughts in a comment. And also, this time I'll leave an open invitation juuuust in case anyone wants to suggest a specific Levi cosplayer that hasn't been featured yet? Who would you like to see? Or maybe you're a Levi cosplayer yourself and would like to participate in The Heichou Sessions? Tell me how to reach you then!

Everyone take care!

Mekada's:

My:


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Absolutely loved Mekada's version. It is very elegant, refined and stylized, yet kind of normal. She doesn't have that entirely "dont't come near me" aura. At least, that's my perception. She does look like out from a CLAMP manga xD and her transformation is stunning, from normal to cosplay. Loved it. She did have a very TORA like aura in that pic xDD lol. I like how she also thinks everyone should be nicer in the fandom, whch is totally true, constructive criticism is okay but there's no need to insult anyone. I don't understand why some people are like that -_-. Loved all her pictures and the tutorial was sooo entertaining and accurate! Loved the gifs! Ukraine ia pretty far away, i really like how we've travelled the world thanks to the heichou sessions and got to meet so many nice people. Similar tastes, be it in cosplay, anime or anything else truly can bring people together and the experience is lovely. Mekada truly did an amazing job in her rendition. It gave me sort of a gackt feel, gackt in my world anyways, aside all the plasticness, you know, the kind of character that looks elegant and unapproachable but its not truly like that in the end. You get me ;P keep it up!

    ResponderEliminar