Acid Black Cherry's 7th Anniversary: Let's celebrate with make up recreations!

By 22:25 , , , , , , , , , , ,

When Jackie and I were given a random DVD 6 years ago with the name of a band we didn't even know, we exchanged looks and said thanks to the friend who gave it to us as a random present. 

"Do you know them?" she asked me
I shrugged and shook my head "no idea, you keep it"

And when she checked it one day she made sure to let me know they were a bunch of guys with no colored hair. I said "boooring!" and she agreed XD 

Quite a while has passed since that, and the memories linked to Acid Black Cherry are so many I can't count them or remember them all entirely. To me, falling for a band has always been a process which builds up gradually. But ABC was the first time that from one day to another I entirely liked them, and it never truly changed. 

To celebrate their 7th Anniversary, I wanted to share with anyone who has the same passion for Yasu and his amazing project something related to him and all of Acid Black Cherry's members but also mixed with another one of my passions: make up. It's the best way I could celebrate this occasion, and hopefully it can be useful and entertaining for fellow fans.

I know it's been two days since the accurate date, but while I created all on my own and also edited... it took me a bit longer. But at least I'm satisfied! 



So let's recreate each of Acid Black Cherry's members' Trademark looks!!!
It's also a good chance to learn a bit more of those classic looks we always see them sporting in concerts and the many backstage pictures they share. 


YASU
Yasu's classic "no make up" make up! And that alone made it intimidating for me because... how to recreate a look that's supposed to look as if you're not wearing anything and yet make it similar to this person? 

Yasu's natural facial features are very strong and unique as they are without any make up on. He probably knows it, and whoever is in charge of his make up often, most definitely knows it too. Because Yasu's standard look has always aimed to make those features stand out EVEN more with the use of make up, instead of radical looks or layers of product. 


Ok focus focus, don't be distracted by the face. These are the most important things to recreate if you want to achieve a look like Yasu's:
1. Very lit browbone.
2. Clean mobile lid.
3. Very deep crease.
4. Subtly lined lashline that gets thicker at the center.
5. Clean lower lashline.

Let's do it:

1. Start with a matte nude color. When I say nude I mean a shadow that is the closest to your original skin tone. That's going to be applied all over the mobile lid.
2. Use a pearly white shadow to highlight your brow bone. This is VERY important. Make sure the eyeshadow isn't shimmery, that's not the effect you want. A pearly white will bring light to the area but make it look natural. If you don't have that color, just use a matte shadow one shade lighter than your skin tone. 
3. To imitate Yasu's deep set eyes use a taupe or light brown shadow to darken your crease. Accentuate the curve at the inner corner to give a sort of concerned look. Very gently blend this with a clean fluffy brush.
4. With brick I mean a brown tone that has a red appearance. Apply that at the crest of the concerned curve you previously created and also blend it.
5. Use a dark brown at the outer extreme of your crease and also blend it. This is meant to recreate the deepest set point of Yasu's eye.
6. You can use that same brown shadow to line your upper lashline. Extend the inner corner just a little bit, and make the line thicker at the center, right above your iris. 

EYEBROWS:
-Lowest point: start very low at the inner corner.
-Highest point: The crest of the brow is located after your iris and right on top of your brow bone.  
-Tail: It makes its way down also following the shape of the brow bone, but right on top of it, not on it.
-Result: The tail of the brow enhaces the brow bone even more, while its arched shape creates an illusion of a permanent frown (no wonder Yasu's look is so strong lol)

DONE!!!

A few recomendations:
- Use very small amounts of shadow when it comes to the dark colors. Notice that I mentioned different shades of brown, but on my eye they're delicately blended. The idea is that your eye truly seems to be naked, and the colors applied only create an illusion of a new shape.





YUKI
Yuki's make up is meant to exaggerate his original eye shape with eyeliner and shadow. His already smiley eyes are enlongated and brightened at the right points giving as a result an even more endearing expression. And because of his monolid, the immobile lid is very bright and flat. Also, his straight eyebrows soften even more his expression, so even if the eye is loaded with black make up, he still looks gentle.


Ok once again let's not be distracted by pretty faces :P these are the important things to consider to recreate this look:
1. Flat immobile lid. Eyelids are generally a bit darker than the rest of our faces, or even a bit blue/green because of little veins. So keeping this area clean and bright is important. Your primer or concealer will be your best friends.
2. Not going crazy with the blending. The shape to create is more horizontal than vertical. Meaning most of the visible product is at the outer corners, and not your immobile lid (which you so hardly worked to keep clean lol)
3. Bright lower lashline (which equals to puppy eyes)


Grab your tools!

1. Cover ONLY your mobile lid with abundant matte black shadow (mine looks shiny because of reasons -lamp-). You are going to extend your outer corner in an oval shape. Don't create the original shape at once, just make a smaller version of it. Also line the inner and outer extremes of your lower lashline, leaving the middle untouched (which should be as wide as your iris.) 
2. Now with a fluffy clean brush you're going to blend the edges of the oval you created. That will result in the final shape, with subtle softened edges. Don't exaggerate it, just extend it a bit. If you lose opacity on your mobile lid in the process, add more black shadow to it.
3. The empty space in your lower lashline should be filled with white liner. Then covered with silver eyeshadow. The white underneath will make the silver more visible.
4. Line your upper lashline with black pencil. Just make a thin line, that should be enough.
5. Choose a color that's the closest to your skin tone and apply it all over your immobile lid.


EYEBROWS:
- Highest point: The inner end is quite separated from the eye, just as the rest of the brow. Resulting in an almost impressed expression.
- Arch: There's no arch in this particular shape. It's almost entirely straight. 
-Lowest point: the brow is practically straight, but a gentle curve drives the brow's tail just a bit lower than its starting point.

FINISHED!




JUN-JI
Jun-ji is awesome. That's all I can say. Let's move on to another look because he's too awesome for further words...



Ok no. 

There isn't muuuch science to his look. Actually, I added the orange for more recognition that this look... is Jun-ji's  n_n);; 

But that doesn't mean it's a bad look at all. It just simply does what a lot of japanese male rock stars achieve with their make up, at its simplest: it enhaces his original eye shape. No blending, no corny stuff here. It's a basic lining that surrounds his eye almost completely, making it stand out much more without the romance of other elements. 

The fact it's so straightforward makes it simple to recreate. But if your eyeshape is far from his (just like mine), then there's a few things to consider so we can get closer to this result. 

1. He also has a monolid. Pay attention: having a monolid doesn't mean you don't have immobile and mobile lid, it's just they're not parted by a crease. But still, that portion that does move when you blink is the mobile lid. The rest up there, is immobile. SO! In this case you'll also have to brighten your immobile lid, and keep it nice and lit.
2. No blending! Harsh edges are allowed in this case. 
3. Round outer corner. 
4. Straight thin brows that are quite separated from the eye.
1. Your entire mobile lid has to be lined with black pencil. Just fill that thinggg and then seal it with black shadow, to give it that matte look and intensify the opacity. 
2. Make your way to the lower lashline in a circle shape, and just line like 1/4 of your lower lashine.
3. This step is optional. But I truly wanted to add some orange. So I lined the rest of the lower lashline with white, and covered it with shimmery orange shadow.

EYEBROWS:
uhhh... well guys, these are practically straight lines lol. But let's see what guidance can be given...
- Highest point: the beginning and the end of the eyebrow are practically at the same height.
- Arch: once again, no arch. Just the most subtle curve in the middle.
- Thickness: ok ok so these brows aren't literally a line. The inner extreme is the thickest part and as it goes the brow becomes thinner.
-Result: an awake gentle expression! Although he has plucked them before in a frowning position lol but I like best how they look like this.

DONE!
don't ask about my panda face srsly...


SHUSE
Just like I did with Jun-ji's, I added some color for some extra recognition lol. So this is Shuse's look, and he's also quite straightforward with his make up (IF he wears any). Must admit his eyeshape is also quite complicated to recreate on my own eye, but this is indeed what he does (or has done) when it comes to get prettied up. And I have to say, that just like Yasu, Shuse has some strong features that shine enough on their own.

Bone structure, shapes here and there. They make a statement without make up. But once you do add some extra shades, it stands out even more, specially when it comes to the eyes.

1. A very well blended V shape at the outer corner. It seems Shuse's preferred look. Also, it does seem he's wearing black shadow, but I prefer to use a dark grey for this one. When blending dark colors on a bare surface, it's easy to mess up lol 
2. The V shape has to go straight. No cat eyes allowed.

1. Use a clean fluffy brush for this one. Grab small amounts of grey and cover your mobile lid, extending it outward in a V shape. Build up the opacity as you go. You can create a bigger V if you want, but here I kept it small because... I don't know, I liked it like that lol
2. Add some silver at the inner extreme of your crease.
3. Once again, optional. I used this shade because it reminded me of Shuse's hair and lined the inner corner and lower lashline, letting the color fade as it reached the outer corner.
4. With a black pencil, line the upper lashline.

EYEBROWS: 
-Lowest point: Like Yasu's, the inner corner is quite thick and very close to the eye.
-Highest point: the arch reaches its crest right after the iris. From there it begins to go down. However, these eyebrows aren't as inwardly bent as Yasu's (meaning Shuse looks less angry :P)
-Tail: It is barely longer than the end of the eye.

READY!!
give it up for inaccurate band background


HIRO
So I've been depriving you from cat eyes during this entire guide. I know, that's awful of me. But with HIRO's look you'll get your revenge for real. 

Hiro uses his lids as a canvas and... paints it black. Which really goes well with his features because despite all the black (there's only black in there honestly) he doesn't look too loaded or evil. Most of that is thanks to his very straight eyebrows. Straight eyebrows just make you look nice. 

In my case the lining looks less exaggerated because of my lid. But I recommend it to keep it like that. After all, you're covering the same extension of skin, except yours is folded by the crease. But to be honest! This depends on your eye shape, and personal taste. So don't take my word as a law at all, they're a guide only.

No matter what your eye shape is, these recommendations will serve you as a base:
1. The highlight to the look is how smokey it looks. No, not the kind of smokey eye you're thinking of. But you know, that powdery/less opaque appearance it has. Which means only eyeshadow is used, there's no eyeliner underneath so the black looks quite soft.
2. Given that black shadow can become your worst enemy if used wrong, create a GOOD powder bed under your eyes (meaning, apply looots of loose powder on top of your concealer etc) so that ANY fall outs (and there WILL be fall outs, promise) can be easily brushed away without smudging it.
3. And aaaalso because you want the shadow to last and not crease, use a good primer before. It will be your best friend for this look. 
4. Straight thin brows. Simple three words, you already know what they work for :3

Prince of darkness mode: on!

1. Start with a small cat eye. Hold your horses and don't create the original shape yet, ok? The lower lashline can be lined more thickly of you want. Sometimes HIRO feels more panda and the lower lashline is super thick, sometimes he... feels less panda, and it looks like the one I did.
2. Use a clean brush for this one. Soften the edges and gradually extend them until you're happy with the size. Remember you can add more shadow to intensify the opacity until you like it.
3. Use an eyeshadow the same tone as your skin and go all over the immobile lid with it.
4. The inner corner is lightly extended downward, while the tip of the cat eye goes upward and almost touches the eyebrow's tail.

EYEBROWS:
- They're almost the same as Jun-ji's, except the inner end is less thick.
- sometimes they're lighter, sometimes darker?? Choose the one you prefer. 

fear me??





Well everyone, I hoped you enjoyed seeing the only eye I applied make up on transform into five different people (or eyes?). 

Also, I wanted to include Akihide but... does he even wear make up? I'd like to see him return to ABC sometime. Slow solos are not the same without him.


Anyway! I hope you enjoyed this. I had tons of fun and learned new things as I did each look. That's why I get so excited about creating tutorials or just doing a new make up in general. During each session you just can't help learning new stuff. 

If you learned anything new here, or if you enjoyed the article, I'd love to know. Or if you happen to recreate one of the looks on yourself... I would loooove to see that. But remember this is just a guide, and if you want a way better reference, check the guys' pictures. They helped me a lot.

I hope we can all continue to enjoy Acid Black Cherry's music for a very long long long time. I know I will never get tired of their songs.


Follow me on my social networks:



You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. ABC was a band that i didnt love from the start, only because i found yasu's voice so strange. Nowadays, though, as you know, i like it quite a lot. Funny how ones tastes change. Now, this entry surely took some dedication. I cant even imagine removing and reapplying makeup 5 different times. That is too much for me lol, but luckily you arent as lazy as i am, and you are way better regarding makeup. All the looks came out wonderfully! And the explanations were very detailed. No wonder you took so long to post. All were very accurate. However, my favorite were yasu's, yuki's and hiro's, i think those were rly rly on point. Not that the others werent, but these were my favorite. Really nice tutos and pictures and explanations. Keep i

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I know óo It took me ages to do this on my own. But because I was aware I had to remove and apply so many times I only did it on one eye.
      My favorite results are also Yasu, Hiro and Yuki! But I also had fun doing Jun-ji's. Shuse did have me thinking on what to do for a while lol

      Thanks for checking <3

      Eliminar
  2. Keep it up and keep doing the things that you like and creating new looks! n.n

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I admire you for doing and remove 5 different people (Eeer. Make up lol). It's the first time that I read your blog but I love how you write, in some parts I laughed so hard! (ᗒᗜᗕ)՛̵̖ I confess I'm not very experienced with make up : I use only pencil, eyeliner and eyeshadow! Too bad Terry. Too bad ( ;´Д`). Somehow I have got reasons for doing it! Acid Black Cherry and his members are fabulous ahahah. I liked all of them, my favourites make up that you made are Yuki and Hiro, maybe it's that they look womanish (the nature was so cruel with them LOL). Whaaat? And Jun-ji's , Terry?! ... Yes I love that make up because is Jun-ji of course ( ー̀∀ー́ ) . But if I'll try to imitate him (with my poor skills) I will become a double panda °A° Maybe one day I'll try, I'm too lazy (ノ; u ;)ノ彡┻━┻ But since I usually draw, you gave me some advice on how to better represent the eyes of our dear members, thank youu!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. What a super sweet comment, Terry! Thanks a lot for checking this out n_n I had a good laugh too.

      Let's say that I'm a dedicated person and not that I have too much time to spend, so that's why I did my make so many times lol!!

      I'm looking forward to see more of your cute art *_* I love your drawings

      Eliminar